Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My First Few Days



This blogging stuff is soooo much easier from outside of the womb. I don't want to get into the gross details, but there were some things about trying to type from inside there that were a little complicated.
By now, some of you have heard the story that mom and dad went Christmas shopping at midnight madness on black Friday in an effort to induce labor. And it worked. But that's not the whole story. A few months back, mom and dad were talking about the ideal day for me to arrive and settled on November 28th because it was after Thanksgiving, still in November, and on the weekend so everyone could come visit without hassle. As the first born granddaughter on both sides of the family, I didn't want to disappoint so I made it happen.
Mom started having really bad contractions on Friday night at about 8 and by 2am dad called the doctor for some advice. He told them to get to the hospital, but when we showed up and after walking around the 3rd floor for an hour, nothing was happening other than mom being in a lot of pain. So, the nurse gave her two Ambien, smacked her on the butt, and sent her on her way. Apparently the Ambien was supposed to knock out the pain if it was false labor. But if it was real labor, the nurse said "she will know it." By 10am, she knew it. Back at the hospital, the laps around the 3rd floor started working and mom was 5cm at around 1pm. That was good news, because it meant the epidural could be administered and the worst pain of mom's life was over.
By 6pm Saturday night, the doctor showed up and it was time for mom to start pushing me out the slide. It was not fun. I got smushed. I could not breathe. I was covered in goo. I turned purple. But I clean up nice. At 7:59 I arrived and by 8:30, I was already looking good.
After a lot of time meeting crazy aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas and a great grandpa, we wanted to leave the hospital. The doctor said I was ready to go and we were home Monday at 4, less than 48 hours after I graced the world with my presence. Since we've been home, I've been doing a good job eating and napping and thanks to help from Grandma Ellen, my mom and dad have gotten some sleep too. Tomorrow I go to the doctor for my first checkup.
Now that I'm on the outside, you can expect more regular blog postings so make sure to keep checking!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Stella for your blog posts--your great auntie loves to read them.
    You may be the most beautiful baby I have ever seen...

    We cannnot wait to meet you.
    With lots of love,
    Auntie Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! Stella, you are a wonderful writer and I can't wait to meet you :)
    Love,
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete